Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Sunday Sweet Potato Post

The Sunday Sweet Potato Post

Ah, the SSPP.

I had never had sweet potato pie until this weekend. Which is odd maybe, because I enjoy the sweet potato, in all its various incarnations. Baked. Fried. Yammed.

I told my sister she wouldn't be allowed inside the house for Thanksgiving if she didn't bring sweet potato casserole (she was because she did).

But I've never had sweet potato pie. Until this weekend. It was quite enjoyable. I recommend it. It's like pumpkin pie, only with sweet potatoes. If I made one, I would make it without so much nutmeg.

How much do I love sweet potatoes?

I would include them in my last meal, were I to be executed.

There's a kid at work. He bags for us at the store. He doesn't talk. It's like blood from a turnip trying to get more than a couple of words out of the kid. Very quiet. As a former quiet kid myself, I try to get the kid to talk a little more. We had the conversation last night about what our last meals would be. His response: spaghetti and garlic bread. My answer? Bacon cheeseburger and sweet potato fries.

"Sweet potato fries?" he said.

"They're awesome," I said.

He seemed unconvinced. But he's so quiet that I don't friggin' know for sure.

But I digress.

There is no record listed on the International Federation of Competitive Eating website for eating Sweet Potatoes. I looked, and was afraid I'd find something crazy, like 11 pounds of sweet potatoes eaten in 7 minutes, or something. But there is no record. Sounds like I may have a goal for the next year...creation of a category....

How many sweet potatoes could I eat in one sitting? Don't know. Maybe a pound and a half, if there was nothing else to eat. I could eat that much, and then declare it a record.

I was happy to see that the IFOCE store had shirts that ran up to 4XL. Not because I wanna buy one, but I think it would be hypocritical to only run your shirts up to XL, or even 2XL. Hell, I think I might be offended by only going up to 4XL, but I'm not sure.

Anyway. I'm going to go eat some breakfast. There are no sweet potatoes in the house, but I'm going to pretend that my toast is sweet potatoes. And to hell with them if they look at me funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home