Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving movie

Thanksgiving movie

Yeah, so I said I'd wait until the weekend. Like I have anything better to do.

Hope your Thanksgiving went well.

I've taken something out here...I was a prick, and I apologize to my sister and brother-in law....

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Great Thanksgiving movie.

Love that movie. One of those things without reason, too. I'll watch it, and can see where other people might not; can see all the little things that really aren't great filmmaking. But it's like a family member...all the little bits add up into one great sum....

Little bits in the flick that always make me laugh....

--The whole Steve Martin/Kevin Bacon cab race makes me smile...

--When Del Griffith realizes who Neal Page is in the airport, and turns Neal's accusation around on him: You're the guy who tried to steal my cab!. And then attempts to make up by offering to buy him a sandwich, or a hot dog, a beer, hot cocoa....

--Doobie's cab is awesome

--Neal Page in the shower at the Braidwood Inn, after Del has messed the bathroom up, having to attempt to dry himself with a washcloth. I love the vanity counter, and everything Del has strewn across it, making himself at home. For some reason, the half-drunk bottle of Pepto Bismol cracks me up...I laugh, because I think I've been there...

--The little bit in the diner. I don't know what it is, but when Del realizes they've been robbed, and Neal responds with the sarcastic "Do Ya Think So?"

--Owen, and the truck ride to the people-train station (because the train don't run out of Wichita--less'n yer a hog, or a cattle....)

--Owen's wife, who's little and skinny, but strong...her first baby...it come out sideways....

--The train ride, the bus ride.

--The conversation Neal and Del have after Del sells shower curtain rings as earrings, and they're fighting like a married couple. Neither person is saying what they want to say, and they're both getting pissed at themselves and taking it out on the other....

--The missing rental car seen, from the minute Neal steps off the bus until Edie Poole announces that "you're fucked..." That's comic gold....

--In fact, the ten minutes from where Neal gets off the rental car bus, till the point he and Del are again traveling together, and they're bickering again. Del is talking about what annoys him about Neal...he fidgets with his nuts a lot...that's great dialogue....

--The truck, the car fire.

--That's how Houdini died.

--Michael McKean as the state trooper....

--There's a bit that wasn't in the theatrical release, but was in the version they aired on network TV...I remember it because I was a country kid, and we didn't have satellite or cable...most of my movies were taped of network TV, so I remember this bit well....Neal and Del are sitting together on the plane, and Del is explaining his airline meal philosophy...and the lady in front of him puts her hair across the back of her seat into Neal's food...

It's a great scene, and I wish it were on my DVD....

Anyway. Great flick.

Moving toward the Christmas season...

A few favorite Christmas flicks....A Christmas Story; Christmas Vacation; March of the Wooden Soldiers....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home