Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In which I recommend a beer

In which I recommend a beer

I wandered up toward Knoxville today. Though it wasn't originally the intent, I did end up purchasing a couple beers, one a favorite, one I'd never tried.

The favorite was the Dead Guy Ale, from Rogue Breweries. Do yourself the favor, pick it up.

The other caught my eye while picking up the first.

I'd never had a blueberry ale.

Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale, from the nice folks at the Atlantic Brewing Company is very nice. I recommend it. I don't have the technical terms of your upper echelon beer snobs at my disposal, but I'll attempt to describe....

It's kinda wheaty, which I normally take as a minus--I'm not a big fan of wheat ales in general, as they seem to miss something on their own, and are often overpowered when some manner of flavoring is added (citrus seems to be the norm). But this one's alright--the blueberry complements rather than overpowers.

It's got a bit of a bitter edge to it. It's not IPA bitter, but it's within yelling distance. I may not have mentioned it on these pages, I like my beer as bitter as my soul.

(It was once joked that Tommy likes his beer like he likes his women--cold and bitter. I did not like that joke, though looking back, there may very much be a spiny truth to that particular matter...but perhaps that's a post for another day....)

The beer finishes with a nice blueberry aftertaste.

(Thus far, none of my attempts at relationships have ended thusly.)

If I had to compare it to anything, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is similar, though this Blueberry Ale isn't as strong on its blueberry as Sam is on his Cherry.

Anyway. I like the beer. It seems like one that'd be good to go with a baseball game on a hot afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home