Friday, May 20, 2016

Random Thoughts

Discouraging week at work.  Long hours.  Little thanks.  Going home exhausted at the end of a day.  Working 9 out of 10 coming back from vacation.  Half of them 11+ hours.

Tired.

Shorthanded.

Working six days.

I'll put in 60, 65 hours this week.

I'm not sure why.

It makes me incredibly grateful for those people who do come in on a daily basis, and bust ass.  I'm thankful for them.

-----

I finished Doris Kearns Goodwin's Bully Pulpit this week.  Strong stuff.  I wish this one had been around when I was in Dr. Himebaugh's Media History class.  That one was one of my favorites of my college career, but the one thing it never seemed to hit just right was the impact of the media--its role in changing things.  I never got a real glimpse of the Yellow journalists, of the muckrakers, at least in terms of the world they lived in.  This does an excellent job.

-----

Started a re-read of Geek Love....a listening of it this time.  I was given a copy to read by a co-worker several years back.  I was reading it to try to have conversation material with somebody I was crushing on at the time.  I read it, and was astounded by it.  I found later that my crush had abandoned her attempt.  Katherine Dunn passed away recently.  I wanted to give this one another run through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home