Tuesday, February 25, 2003

A couple of random mental meanderings:

Old Friends

Sunday night, I saw Seth Derrick at Ingle's in Athens. I've known Seth since nursery school. One might even go so far as to say we were best friends. Because we set our bedmats next to each other, and because we both took a pee outside when the mood suited us.

We were country kids, and as much as my mother tried to teach otherwise, I thought it was alright to go take a whiz against a tree if I needed to. (To be honest, when I'm at my parent's house, I'll still go out to the edge of the woods) Seth thought similarly. I can remember not being allowed to play because of peeing on the fence or on an unused piece of playground equipment. I was polite enough to do my business away from other children.

Seth and I said our helloes. I think by having seen and spoken to Seth, outside of my family relations, I've known Seth as long as I've known anybody in my whole life. 23 years. A long frigging time. Also, Imogene Sturgill, my old next door neighbor. I probably knew her longer, and I just saw her again at Christmas time. Also at Ingles in Athens, by coincidence.

Reading, and other things that Piss Me Off

I finished Season on the Brink, by the way. I was surprised that Bobby Knight had a negative reaction to Feinstein's book, though maybe I shouldn't have been. I said in a previous post that Knight is an asshole. If he'd admit that he's an asshole and move on, I think he'd be a much happier person. Instead, he seems to believe he carries the banner for higher moral and ethical achievement. And possibly he felt that Feinstein betrayed the trust Knight had bestowed upon him. And if we've learned anything, it's that Bobby Knight digs Loyalty.

I started a couple of books over the weekend. I got a copy of Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead at April's store in Chattanooga. I would read pieces of it before I went to sleep. I left that book in Athens, so now I won't get to read it for a while.

Also, I started Mark Twain's Pudd'nhead Wilson. I didn't leave it in Athens. So far, I'm in the part where Pudd'nhead gets named Pudd'nhead!!!!!!!!

Peter Boyle get the Best Writing in Television

I don't watch Everybody Loves Raymond too much. It's a funny show, with the exception of Ray Ramano.

Peter Boyle makes the show, for me.

"Who the Hell made you Prayer Sheriff?"

'Nuff said.

Bill says something smart

Over here, about reading. I stick to the newspaper when I'm at work. It's been suggested far too many times that I should try reading the Bible instead.

A chronicle of my merry adventures in the Bible Belt:

Once, I was reading Bully for Brontosaurus by Stephen Jay Gould in the breakroom. Holy Rollers #1 and #2 wander into the room. And the first word out of Holy Roller #1 as she noticed what I read was about how there was no such thing as dinosaurs, because they weren't in Eden, blabbity, blabbity, the world is 6,000 years old....

And it was suggested by Holy Roller #2 I should try reading the Bible.

(I should say that I have read the Bible. All of it. Although I fudged a bit in the early Old Testement, where they just recite lineage).

I said to Holy Roller #1 that I would read the Bible if she would read the Gould book.

"Nope," she said. "You won't trick me that way."

Except, what she meant was: Nope, Satan can't trick me that way.

But I digress.

But not digest. That pizza I had for supper is sticking hard.

The Water Plan

For a little while, I'm not drinking anything but water. No particular reason.

Also, I'm eating nothing but salad.

And sleeping 19 hours a day.

And chasing chickens, to speed up my legs.

And fighting Carl Weathers. Because he thinks I'm a chump.

Lordy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home