Thursday, February 27, 2003

The Veterans' Committee voted nobody on their ballot into the Hall of Fame. Looking at things, there were a couple of names that popped out at me as having deserved consideration: Gil Hodges and Ron Santo.

The problem with Veterans consideration is that the people they're considering stopped playing (in some cases) years before I was born, so I never had a chance to see any of them play. I have to compare numbers, more than anything, and rely upon word of mouth and the written word to form my opinions.

Still, nobody got in. I don't see it as an egregious error. Nothing like when Ryno was shafted earlier this year.

Ron Santo, by the way, is a bit of an arrogant, condescending sonofagun, along the lines of a Joe Morgan. I've tried listening to the Cubs on the WGN Radio feed, and he'd end up just making me mad. This is, of course, before Major League Baseball turned into the Internet Mafia and started making people pay for the radio feed. But that's a gripe for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home