Thursday, November 27, 2003

Happy Thanksgiving

It is Thanksgiving. Just wanted to wish everybody a good one.

And I wanted to say that in spite of all the complaints, grievances and just plain bitchgripes that I air out here (and there are more coming), I have a lot to be thankful for. I'm glad I'm an American. I'm glad I have a loving family. I'm thankful to be basically happy and healthy. I'm thankful for baseball, for The Simpsons, for Diet Dr. Pepper, for Labatt's, for the internet, for pie, easy internet access, dogs that don't bite, dogs that do bite, Jeopardy!, a good running truck, pecan pie and a pug that only wants to be the center of attention 84% of the time.

I liked the idea I heard on the radio yesterday. You know those lots where people go to cut their own Christmas trees? I like the idea of a yard where you go and select and kill your own Turkey. Kind of like choosing a lobster.

I had to go to the grocery store this morning to pick up a couple of things that were forgotten earlier in the week. I don't like the fact that Ingle's has decided to start using its own "Advantage" card...you know, the kind you clip to your keychain and it'll give you the "Advantage" price.

Well, I don't like those cards. It makes me paranoid, I know. But I just don't like the huge faceless corporation knowing my buying habits.

But it's irksome because Ingle's has jacked their regular prices up ridiculously. 12-Pack of Cokes? Unless you have the card, it's $4.79. That's assbabolous.

Of course, it pales in comparison to having one checkout open and having to wait in a long line between two people, each of whom having cell-phone conversations, and each competing with the other to see who can talk more loudly into their phone. I know that the lady in front of me was helping a sister cook for 23 people, and half of them are on Atkins. And I know the lady behind me was having a time finding the specific brand of bread crumbs, and was wanting to know if the kind she'd found were going to be okay.

But on the whole, it looks to be a good day. Going to read some of the Wolves of the Calla. Going to eat. Going to watch football. On the whole, you can't ask for a lot more than that.

Of course, if any of you are handing out money, I'm willing to listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home