Saturday, July 24, 2004

Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures

Via Sheila and Bill:

Five Movies I Not Only Own, But Watch Regularly, Which I Shouldn't Admit To But I'm Braver Than You So I Will:

(I'm not ashamed, really.  I like disaster movies and bad but well meaning comedies.)
  1. Independence Day.  I'll watch the first 45 minutes or so, up until the aliens have blown up New York, Washington and L.A.  The people in that movie are so blinkardly idiotic, when I see the Statue of Liberty face down in the water when day 2 opens up, I turn the movie off, and just pretend that the aliens won.  That makes me happy.
  2. Armageddon.  Same type of vibe.  I don't know why I get off on this movie so much.  I love Billy Bob Thornton (It's the size of Texas, sir), and I crack up at everything Steve Buscemi's character does in this movie.
  3. Police Academy 2.  This one's a weird childhood thing.  It's not funny compared to most movies, but still it makes me laugh.  It's not good, but for whatever reason, I enjoy the crap out of it.  It's disjointed (four acts, instead of the comfortable 3).  I own it on DVD.
  4. Best of the Best.  This is the best bad karate movie ever.  It stars the less talented siblings of both Julia Roberts (Eric, as Alex) and Sean Penn (his brother Chris, as Travis, who invests more into his character than every other actor in the movie combined).  It's James Earl Jones at his slummy best, too.
  5. Ready to Rumble.  I love inappropriate displays of emotion.  It's why I like David Arquette.  It's why I like pro wrestling so much.  I figure there's no more appropriate mixing than David Arquette and pro wrestling.  Oliver Platt is really, really funny in the movie.  And Caroline Rhea's got a couple of great lines, too, in her brief appearance.  It's a stupid buddy comedy.  But I'll watch it once a year.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home