Saturday, October 23, 2004

World Series: Game 1, Eighth Inning

World Series, Game 1, Eighth Inning

I'm getting sleepy. I'm getting like Papaw, or something. By the time I get really old, I'm gonna be going to bed at 4 PM.

No sooner have I started writing about the eighth inning than the Cardinals get a hit, and Terry Francona makes a pitching change for the Sox. Mike Timlin leaves.

I'll take this break in the action to say that my favorite World Series of all Time is the Twins/Braves World Series in 1991. Just because I'd grown up watching the Braves. It's both a Proximity thing, with the Braves being just 2 1/2 hours to our south, and a family thing, as my folks are both Braves fans. So, it was a treat getting to see that team go worst to first, and make it to the Series. Mostly good games, if I remember. The Twins and Braves were fairly evenly matched.

Lonnie Smith blew that Series for the Braves. You couldn't speak his name around my father for months, without him spitting, cursing the sky, and kneeing you in the nuts.

Back to the game:

Roger Cedeno is at bat for the Cardinals. I've always thought Roger Cedeno looks like he's on the verge of tears.

Somebody needs to show Jason Marquis how to run the bases. He ran the Cards out of an inning in the NLCS, if I remember correctly (and, admittedly, I'm so tired, I may not be), and the dirt reached up and grabbed him on his way to second, tonight. He did that with all the grace of the Cookie Monster eating a cookie.

The Fox cameramen are on the ball tonight, showing the girls in the stands. Just so you know where I stand: No on cameramen showing celebrities, Yes on their hot women.
It depends on the celebrity hot girl as to whether I like their being shown.

Jason Marquis with a close play at the plate. Not a great slide, either. But he managed to get the foot in there. Varitek did what he could. Cardinals pull back within a run.

Larry Walker's back at the plate. Every time I turn around, Larry Walker's at the plate. What time is it? It's time for Larry Walker to bat. We measure time around these parts by Larry Walker's at bats.

Where is Manny Ramirez? What the hell? Tie game. Thanks Manny. Good job. Keep your brain in the game. Take some ritalin.

Four errors by the Bosox.

Four!

I am very close to being beside myself.

Stephen King shot, Bottom of the eighth. He looked like he was putting a curse on somebody. Or imagining them eaten by a gaint earthslug.

Middle of the Inning

Looking back at what I've written so far, I see that I've said very little of anything worthwhile. That kidney thing back in the sixth inning or so was pretty funny, I thought. Anytime you can mention Tiny "Zeus" Lister in a post, I feel like is good for a laugh. Actually, Tiny is a nick name, too. A stage name, I guess. He's credited as Tiny, a lot.

In this mid inning: my favorite Tiny "Zeus" Lister movies:

1. The Fifth Element
2. Friday
3. No Holds Barred
4. Armed and Dangerous
5. Next Friday

Back to Baseball

Julian Tavarez is in to pitch for the birds.

I don't like Tavarez, either. Kinda for the same reason I don't like Steve Kline. Too much emotion, not enough talent. He runs on emotion, which is fine, but hasn't stopped to consider whether that emotion actually helps him. The whole incident with the phone in game 4 of the NLCS is kinda what I mean.

BELLHORN HOMERS!!!!!!!!! Red Sox 11, Cardinals 9.

This kind of thing caused Tavarez to unravel when he was with the Cubs.

Johnny Damon popped out, though. Just to make me eat my words.

End of the Eight:

St. Louis 9
Boston 11




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home