Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Foods.....

Foods...

Found this meme over at Elisson's....

It's a bit snotty for my tastes, but I've got a couple things to say...

Put the ones you've eaten in bold...

100. Venison

Depends on you you're preparing it. Little garlic, little butter and it's tasty.

99. Nettle tea

Nope.

98. Huevos rancheros

Hells yes.

97. Steak tartare

Nope.

96. Crocodile

Alligator, but not Crocodile.

95. Black pudding

Nope. Not gonna, either.

94. Cheese fondue

Yep.

93. Carp

Don't eat much fish, but I have taken in carp.

92. Borscht

Interesting.

91. Baba ghanoush

Tried it only because of a skit on MTV's The State.....not my cup of tea....

90. Calamari

Nope. Not gonna, either.

89. Pho

Nope, never heard of it.

88. PB&J sandwich

The best? Nice creamy pb with cantaloupe jelly made by the mennonites not too far from here....

87. Aloo gobi

Nope.

86. Hot dog from a street cart

Not a bad dog, either.

85. Époisses

Nope.

84. Black truffle

Nope.

83. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

Blackberry, which was good. Raspberry, which was vile. And Muscadine (close cousin to the grape, but not technically one itself)...the worst I've ever been messed up was on a bottle of muscadine wine....

82. Steamed pork buns

Nope

81. Pistachio ice cream

Yep. It's been decades, though.

80. Heirloom tomatoes

Yep.

79. Fresh wild berries

Worst case of diarrhea I ever had came after eating roughly 92 pounds of blackberries straight off the vine.

78. Foie gras

Got asked what this one was, not long back. If I had been on Jeopardy, I'd a lost this one.

77. Rice and beans

Yep. It was actually once a staple of the BSTommy diet.

76. Brawn, or head cheese

Nope. Not gonna, either.

75. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper

Ye. Gods. Very nearly gave me whiplash.

74. Dulce de leche

Yep.

73. Oysters

Yep. Won't ever again. I'd get much the same from sucking the snot out of my sinuses and letting it run down my throat.

72. Baklava

No, but would desperately like to.

71. Bagna cauda

Nope. You're making shit up.

70. Wasabi peas

These are what God eats up in heaven. I found these on a trip to Georgia a couple years back...a Harvey's had them on an endcap with potato chips. Bought a can. Before I left the Andersonville area, I went back and bought two more. Perhaps the most underrated snack ever.

69. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

Yes. Judd Apatow, Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen probably have something to say about all that, too.

68. Salted lassi
Nope

67. Sauerkraut

Had some last time I went out to Blackstone...

66. Root beer float

Yes, though it's been decades....

65. Cognac with a fat cigar

Not yet.

64. Clotted cream tea

Nope.

63. Vodka jelly/Jell-O shot

Yeah, and even though I was 22, I felt that I should have known better at the time.

62. Gumbo

Yep.

61. Oxtail

Yep.

60. Curried goat

Yes. Curry gives me nightmares. Did you know that? Too much curry gives me nightmares.

59. Whole insects

I had to mark this one, because I was feeling dangerously uncultured. This one was not intentional, however.

58. Phaal

Again, you're making shit up.

57. Goat’s milk

Yep. If I have an upset stomach, Goat's milk is the very best cure.

56. Single malt whisky

Oh yeah.

55. Fugu

Nope. Not gonna, either.

54. Chicken tikka masala

A personal favorite.

53. Eel

Nope. NOt gonna, either.

52. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

They would revoke my Southern-by-the-Grace-of-God card if I said no.

51. Sea urchin

I'm lying.

50. Prickly pear

YEs, actually.

49. Umeboshi

Nope.

48. Abalone

Nope.

47. Paneer

Yep. Another fine thing.

46. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal

The Big Mac is little more than triumph of a the marketing machine. It makes me angry. Every three or four years, I'll eat one, and remember this.

45. Spaetzle

Nope.

44. Dirty gin martini

Nope.

43. Beer above 8% ABV

Just recently found a an IPA put out by Rogue Breweries, with a weighty 9.5% Helluva beer. Rogue very rarely does something badly. At the end of the day, though, it's just not worth what I paid for it.

42. Poutine

Yep. Kinda dig it. Good thing it's not readily available down here, otherwise I'd be Even Bigger Stupid Tommy.

41. Carob chips

Yep. Remember what I said about curry? Well, too much chocolate gives me nightmares, too. I avoid it, generally. Carob doesn't have the same effect. I don't rush out to get carob, though. I just do without.

40. S’mores

Yeah, but the aforementioned chocolate thing, and the fact that I loathe marshmallows pretty much rules this one out ever again.

39. Sweetbreads

38. Kaolin

Nope.

37. Currywurst

No, but given the description, it appears that the Germans are attempting to trick me into eating mass amounts of curry via my love of sausage products.

36. Durian

Nope.

35. Frogs’ legs

Yep. Too much work for too little reward. Just get yerself a bucket of legs at KFC and be done with it....

34. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

All except for churros. Isn't Jerry Seinfeld eating one in that dipshitty commercial with Bill gates?

33. Haggis

Yeah. The first go round did not go well, but I would like a second chance to attack this bugger. If only to prove to myself that I could do it.

32. Fried plantain

Yep. Tasty, too.

31. Chitterlings, or andouillette

Nope. Not gonna, either.

30. Gazpacho

Never had the pleasure, though I will soon.

29. Caviar and blini

Nope. Someday.

28. Louche absinthe

Nope. Someday.

27. Gjetost, or brunost

You're making words up.

26. Roadkill

Let me just say that we ate barbecued goat, and the goat we ate, the owners had slaughtered after killing it when it ran in front of their truck.

25. Baijiu

Nope.

24. Hostess Fruit Pie

No self-respecting comic geek of appropriate age can live life without eating one. I think I've probably eaten a couple of these in the past year.

23. Snails

Nope.

22. Lapsang souchong

Nope.

21. Bellini

Nope.

20. Tom yum

Nope.

19. Eggs Benedict

Yep.

18. Pocky

No, but oddly enough, I knew exactly what it was. There was a brief fascination with Japanese candies and sweets, right around the time Manga REALLY exploded. I remember looking at these at a rack in the Hastings out in Murfreesboro.

17. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant

Nope.

16. Kobe beef

Nope.

15. Hare

Nope.

14. Goulash

We actually learned to make a version of this over a campfire, in scouts.

13. Flowers

Also scouts.

12. Horse
Not officially. I have suspicions, however.

11. Criollo

Nope. I'm feeling really ignorant here.

10. Spam

Yep. And if I have my way, it won't happen ever again.

9. Soft shell crab

Yep.

8. Rose harissa

Nope.

7. Catfish

Yep. Again, I do not think I would be allowed to live here if I had not.

6. Mole poblano

Nope.

5. Bagel and lox

Nope.

4. Lobster Thermidor

Nope.

3. Polenta

Nope.

2. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

Nope.

1. Snake

Tastes like chicken. Like chewing on a superball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home