Sunday, January 04, 2009

Random Thoughts....

Random Thoughts...

Hello, and welcome to Sunday.

Your old pal Tommy finds himself on the backside of a nasty little virus that's had him more or less boondoggled for a week now. Traded a day of work this week...should have taken a sick day for another, just to sleep. Problem is, if I'm home sick, I end up driving myself nuts feeling bad...it dominates my thoughts. All I think about is just how sick I feel. Part of the joy of minor OCD. At least at work, I can put it at the back of my mind.

But, like I said, I think I'm at the backside of the thing. Which is maybe fitting, because it's made me feel like backside for the largest part of the week.

I work tonight, and I'm off tomorrow. Upon looking back, I think Monday will probably be the first day that I'm not obligated to anything in at least a month. In December, I finished my semester (took a B home in that EduPsych class, largely due to tanking the second test that took place the same week as my store's inventory). I got caught up in the Christmas rush, both professionally and personally. That 5-week corridor from the week before Thanksgiving to Christmas are the busiest 5 weeks of the year---Pulled a lot of 11 and 12 hour days, and a couple 6 day weeks in there.

What time wasn't spent working, or getting ready for work, or driving to work (when you think about it, there are some days that I was devoting 14 or 15 hours a day to the job....that's a number that galls me), I was doing all the Christmas stuff. I don't know how those married & with kids do it. I was busy enough trying to run and see friends--even missed a couple of them...didn't get to see Steven until just yesterday....

I was ready for a respite, a weekend off last weekend. Saturday, I started feeling tired. Sunday, I was chilled and achey. And the rest of the week was spent asleep or at work. With little exception, and quite literally.

I did go to the doctor. Not one of my favorite things, but he did let me know that what I have is a crud that's been going around, and my case isn't much different. Just told me to stick to Mucinex and lots of liquids. He prescribed a round of antibiotics, and a very trippy cough syrup....

There are a couple of silver linings to this little virus.

1.) It's a nice jumpstart to the whole "less massive Tommy" semi-resolution for the New Year. I'd reckon I've lost 10 pounds, and maybe more. I haven't been sick or very pukey, I've just had no appetite whatsoever, pretty much until yesterday, when I had a hamburger at lunch. Mostly it's been cups of soup, bananas and peanut butter sandwiches that I'm eating not because I'm hungry, but because it's time to eat. I'd reckon that Sunday through Thursday, I probably took in less than 800 calories each day. Not healthy, I suppose, but between that and the fact I didn't pig out at any point over Christmas, I'd reckon I'm down a pants size, and close to two.

2.) I like to call them "Fever Dreams," though they're more likely influenced by the medicines. I had these when I actually slept. There was the one dream I had where I was fighting John Goodman in a single-elimination Brawl-for-All type tournament. I won, despite Mr. Goodman's seeming ability to turn into the Big Boss Man at random intervals.

Anyway. I'm coming out of it. Still pleasantly phlegmy...enough so that I still sound like I've been washing my throat out with a wire brush. We'll be alright, though....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home