Friday, May 07, 2004

Commissioner Selig

Commissioner Selig

Bud Selig says:

I'm a traditionalist. The problem in sports marketing, particularly in baseball, is you're always walking a very sensitive line. Nobody loves tradition and history as much as I do.

Bill McCabe responds in much the same way I did when I read Selig's quote last night:

Selig's "traditionalist" credentials include interleague play, expanded playoffs, playoff games on the East Coast starting at 8:30 pm, different uniforms for every day of the week, opening day occurring in foreign nations besides Canada, presiding over the end of any semblance of competitive balance, the whoring of the sport to anyone with enough cash, and finally, tie games in the All Star Game.

I resented the shit out Bud's statement. It's like Bud believes he can fart in my face and call it roses, and if he does it enough and tells me what he wants it to be enough, it'll actually become true

My issue with the whole Spider-Man thing was not advertising, per se. I understand the desire for revenue. What I resented was the idea that a Spider-Man movie promotion was going to bring more kids to baseball game than the actual baseball game.

Instead of resorting to little tricks like this, Bud, why not do little things like actually making the game accessible to kids?

Joe Biddle, of the Tennessean, had this to say about :

How about starting playoff and World Series games before 9 p.m. on the heavily populated East Coast? Kids today don't know what it means to beg a teacher on their knees, to produce fake tears, just so the nice teacher will allow the class to listen to a World Series game. Day games went out with the dinosaurs.

It has become strictly a prime time event, created with the idea of gaining the most bang for the buck. Adults east of the Mississippi River struggle to stay awake to the end of the games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home