Thursday, May 06, 2004

A few Not-So-Brief Thoughts

A Few Not-So-Brief Thoughts

Just a few thoughts going on in my head.

1.) John Kerry is ugly. I don't usually comment on other guys' appearances, but being moderately ghastly myself, I think I'm entitled. Pot...Kettle...Black.

I'm worried what would happen to the man's appearance once the stresses of the office hit him. The first George Bush looked like he aged 10 years during the Gulf War. Clinton aged well, but he was definitely whiter-headed and more tired-looking. Jimmy "Lust in his Heart" Carter came out much the same, even after one term.

Should he win the presidency, and should his administration be especially stressful, I'd put the over/under on Kerry's appearance deterioration somewhere between Emperor Palpatine and the CryptKeeper.

2.) I have not yet been to a Nashville Sounds game yet this season. I think I'm going to have to rectify this situation very soon. They had a day game yesterday. But I was otherwise occupied.

3.) Speaking of baseball, if Bud Selig does not have enough faith in his game to think it's appealing to children without having to put ads for Spider-Man 2 on the bases, then why should I have any faith in the game?

I want to knock Bud Selig on his ass. The best thing that could happen to baseball would be for Bud to die suddenly, thus getting the asshole out of office and prompting (one would hope) the installation a real commissioner, with no ties to either ownership or playing.

I'm sending my resume in today, just to keep my name on file.

4.) Diet Dr. Pepper will spew if you even look at it funny.

5.) David Cross has a new album out: It's Not Funny.

6. My dish soap is kind of gloopy. I think it might be because I left the top open for about a week. Still, I've never had that happen before. It's a little gross.

7. I'm not going gaga over the last episode of Friends. I watched the first couple of seasons, back in the day. And I've watched re-runs (which used to come on right after Simpsons re-runs). But it's not a show meant necessarily for me.

It's got it's funny moments. The whole thing where Joey misunderstands the word "omnipotent" in one episode is a great exchange.

But there are too many reaction shots in Friends. Chandler will say something glib to Monica, and you'll get two quick shots as the laughtrack rolls of Joey and Phoebe (or Rachel or Ross) laughing at what Chandler's just said. Same goes for any smart assery that goes on. But there are also group reaction shots any time Phoebe says something off the wall, Joey says something really dumb or Monica gets a little too anal about something.

It's like they're wanting you as the viewer to be part of the group. And that got a little old after a while. I prefer to live vicariously through real life people. Also through blogs and, occasionally, professional wrestling.

8. I hate the Powerball Lottery song in the spot they're playing on the radio here in Tennessee. It's just a guy singing (badly) about the lottery and a couple of chords being played on a piano in a slow, singalong pace. It gets into my head a little too easily. It's insidious.

We just got lotteries here in the buckle of the bible belt a few months ago. When I voted for them, I didn't consider how irritating the advertising for such a thing would be. Had I known, I might have voted differently.

9.) Now, Tommy sleeps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home