Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sunday Morning Re-Run

Sunday Morning Re-Run

I wrote this a couple of years ago when The Day After Tomorrow was coming out. It applies now because the remake of the Poseiden Adventure is coming out before long. Just substitute any reference to killer weather or boats floating in Manhattan with "boat flipping over because of a wave" and it pretty much applies.

Don't need story. Just need disaster.

Remember my statement of geek cred a while back? Well, in it, I said I'm all over movies where some weather, or monsters, or asteroids or something destroys stuff here on Earth.

Pursuant to that statement,

The Day After Tomorrow comes out Friday. I don't care how many bad reviews I see (and boy, there've already been a bunch of them), I'm going to see The Day After Tomorrow, and I'm going to see it, well, the day after tomorrow.

I've said it before. If you need me to go see your movie, there are two shots you need to put in your trailer: 1.) Some famous landmark getting swept away, smashed by a comet or being climbed by a giant monster, and 2.) A bunch of people running away from it.

I don't care if The Day After Tomorrow is the worst movie of the week, or the year, or ever....I'm going to be there with bells on. Because I'm not going for stories or acting or anything like that. I'm going to watch the bad weather movie.

Concievably, they could make a two hour flick that doesn't contain any particular plotline other than a tornado, or a tidal wave, or some trampling large beast tearing things down. Two hours. Nothing but that. And I'd probably see it. Twice.

I'm the guy completely transfixed by the weather channel if one of those tornado shows is on. You know, the ones where Fred and Merline talk about how "the tornaduh sount lack a train...."

So I'm an easy mark. I'm to blame for this particular trend, if you're annoyed by it.

Wanna fight about it?


Now this trend of remaking everything, which was tiresome a decade ago, that's a whole different can of beans.

Still, boat flipping and people falling from floor to ceiling trumps my boredom with remaking everything.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home