Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful

Thankful

Just a moment of repose, this rainy Thanksgiving morning.

I'm thankful for a lot in life. I've gotten to do a lot of cool things this year. Never thought I'd get to go to Wrestlemania. Took a road trip to see some baseball--something I've always wanted to do, and will do again.

I've got my family. They are funny, they are smart. They are supportive, and I could never do what I do without them.

I've got a job, and a roof over my head.

I live in what is still the greatest country on Earth, in what is my very favorite neck of the woods.

I've got a pretty cool hobby, that's allowed me to meet a mess of the coolest people from across this land.

I'm thankful. For all of it.

And though I'm not a religious guy, I do find time to say a prayer of thanks from time to time.

Today, I'm also thankful for my friends. I cannot name them all, mostly for fear of leaving somebody out. Rest assured, I think of you all, and I thank you.

Here's a taste of why: As thankful as I am for this past year, there have been some rough patches. Nothing bad. Nothing life threatening, or even terribly life-changing. Usually, it's stuff I get angry at myself for dwelling on, but it's stuff that gets into my head. I've worked WAY too much. I written as much as I should or I'd want. And this year, I told somebody I'd cared about for a while that I cared, and had her respond with silence. And then, I've had to deal with my own daunting inability to get past it.

All told, these things probably weighed on me more than they should. But, whenever I've needed a pick-me-up, Shyam's been there to do it. A few different times, she's managed to say just the right thing to get me into the right frame of mind. She makes me smile.

She did it again, recently. I missed it, owing to my working like a botard again. Stories are all true, though I'd forgotten about the elevator thing--that hotel didn't much like catering to a bunch of college age, drunken, comic book geeks, I guess.

I'm gonna have to think of some Shyam stories to share, now.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home