Monday, January 12, 2009

Notes on a Monday....

Notes on a Monday....

Have I mentioned that I hate this time of year? It takes a team of oxen to drag me out of the post-Christmas/New Year's funk. Love it or hate it, Christmas is a frenzied rush with a definite finish line. As much as I try otherwise, I am still a destination guy, as opposed to a "enjoy-the-journey" guy. Try as I might to be the other way, I am still more apt to lower my head and bull my way to the finish line.

Often times, I get to the destination, and realize that we're in a marathon, and not a sprint. I get to the Christmas finish line, and realize that the next finish line is out-of-sight.

Enjoy the journey, I tell myself. With varying results.

Given the funk I drag myself through for much of January and February, I have not been entirely successful.

There are a couple other factors...these gray winter days don't help my mood much. And the fact that football is wandering towards its end, and we have eleven weeks or so until we get baseball that counts. I guess the distraction factor plays a small part. Not a huge basketball fan. I could get behind a hockey team, if I had one nearby. As it is, hockey is still horrible to watch on television....

Last one? Never been a big fan of February in general. I try not to view the third week hit of Valentine's and my birthday as a kick in the balls, but it's what it often amounts to.

Still...life is what you make it. So, gonna work over the next couple of weeks to drag myself out of this self-fulfilling prophecy. Got a couple of writing projects that are building their foundations in my head. Gonna plow through those...maybe see if I can get something published for the first time in a few years.

Anyway. If you see my dumb ass moping around somewhere in East TN....do me a favor and kick my ass. This mopey shit's as tiresome to drive as it is to witness....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home